Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day 15 - God is preparing us - are we listening?


GENESIS 40:1-23; GENESIS 35:28-29; GENESIS 41:1-57

Can you interpret dreams? Could you imagine the incredible amount of responsibility would be on you if you could? Joseph was sure of his wisdom from God. He knew that his interpretations of dreams were accurate enough that he could share with anyone and they would happen. Do you think Joseph was frightened to go before the Pharaoh to interpret dreams? After everything Joseph had been through to this point, when the Pharaoh heard his interpretation of his dream, do you think Joseph was prepared to be in charge of Egypt? What was Joseph's faith like to be able to just go and do as the Pharaoh said? What is our faith like when God is speaking to us?

Personally in this journey that Joseph is being taken on I see a young man that was given a gift. Through sharing his gift he was persecuted by his brothers. Through being persecuted he was being prepared for leadership. This was a long and often times painful process for him. This was the road God chose for Joseph. His dream must have seemed impossible at the time. Can imagine him asking "how can it happen now, I am far from my land and family" or maybe he thought that he had missed God, or that his pride had kept him from fulfilling Gods will. Many generations have past, but many of us can still relate to how Joseph must have felt, but God’s answer is still the same... Trust me!

God is always faithful to fulfill His promises. We often don’t expect the way in which God chooses to fulfill those promises. His ways are not our ways and when we would normally choose the easy road to success, God directs us to go down a road that is rocky and unfamiliar, designed to prefect the righteousness of Christ within us. This rocky road is to prepare us, to teach us, to cause us to have to look and turn to Him and His word, so His plan is accomplished. Rob and I have had a great opportunity to have several things in our life happen where we feel like we really heard what God was saying to us. Once was at the church we were first time visitors of. We had heard in the morning announcements that there was going to be a guest at the church that was very prophetic. Rob took Sean last minute and I stayed at home with Brooke and young Brianna. About 20 minutes after he had left he called me... "Leslie, I know this sounds really crazy, but please just trust me. Bring the kids to the church, put the girls in child care, and come join me. The guest of the night has called me up there and he wants you here to. He has something to say to us." I had no idea what my husband was talking about, but I trusted and did as he said. Shortly after sitting down and watching two grown men go forward and this man talk to them about what God was telling him to tell them I was blown away and I was scared! These tall, strong, grown men were literally humbled to tears. The words that this man was speaking to them just took them to their knees. As we heard our names called my heart was about to beat out of my chest. I was frightened about what was about to happen. As he started off he asked a few questions. He wanted to know our names, how long we had been married, and was informed it was our first day at the church and second visit. When he started with me he was telling me to close this "picture box" that I had stored in my mind. That God had taken this box, closed it, and gotten rid of the key. He told Rob about some very personal parts of his life. He told us as a couple that we would be working with many youth in life and would affect them in great ways if we continue to follow Him. Now, by the point he had finished I was crying, I felt relieved, I was overwhelmed by what was just said, declared, and prayed over. But, I found myself really upset with Rob. I couldn't believe that just two or three days before sharing this very intimate and personal problem that he would tell someone that I didn't even know. This is exactly what I shared with Rob: in my past I had felt like I had a "picture box" in my mind that stored all of my bad times, the things I had done wrong in life, and that this "picture box" would always open up and show me images when I would begin to pray. I could never get past what I was seeing enough to continue to pray or to feel like I could start this relationship with God that He wanted me to have with Him. With this "picture box" I had a hard time sharing with Rob at times. I had JUST been honest with him and really believed he had shared this with the church! Upon talking to him, we were blown away to learn that neither of us had ever shared anything with anyone even remotely personal with anyone at that church, in that town, or outside the two of us! We couldn't believe what had been said to us and we knew it was of God that these words were spoken. We knew that only God would have known outside the two of us about these (specific words) "picture box"! This has always stuck in my mind through all of these years. He was right in what he had said. I have not opened that picture box in all these years (nor wanted to)! It was God telling me to let it stay shut and let go of the past - forgive myself just as He had forgiven me. Though not remembering the name of the man that did this prophetical reading with Rob and I, I remember him often because of the special Gift he was given and how open and wonderful it was for him to share this Gift! This Gift was from God! Do you think after learning that this was our second visit to this church that this man questioned if he would frighten us or if we would outright question him? Do you think that he thought twice about what he was telling us? Personally, I don't!... he was so direct, he was so right on the money (even with specific words) that he knew of the words he spoke to be from God! He knew his gift. Rob has a friend that has become a dear friend to me too that has this same gift. He knows that when given a word or thought on someone that he has to share it. That God is calling this in his life. He is a wonderful man, an honest man, and a man that strives to know God more. With great respect, Rob and I have called him to ask to talk. He is uplifting and always makes SO much sense to us. He speaks with love from God and honesty! With these two specific things in my life, it is evident that God is preparing me for this life, for His calling!

After these wonderful experiences in our lives, Rob and I know we have been blessed to have crossed paths with this one individual and to have a special friend in our life. It calls me to keep myself in check... What am I telling others, what are others seeing in me, what do others think of me! Do they see the love and longing I have for my Lord and Savior or do they see a woman that is about myself? It is time to listen to the voice of God. What is he sharing and saying to you? You may not have these men or Joseph in your life to say things so abundantly clear, but God has His own ways of sharing with you and letting you know exactly what He wants in your life and for your life!


Very Respectfully,
Leslie


Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails. Proverbs 19:21 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment